Thursday 23 December 2010

I great little tip for making great emotional solos

There are many great guitar players out there, and there are many great guitar solos. Recently I have been listening to a lot of instrumental guitar music, I have sat for hours just listening to tracks by greats like Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen and Jeff Loomis. These are three very influential guitar players, every single piece they play packs in so much raw emotion, their music has the ability to just lift you up and carry you to a whole new world within the music. Its like beauty on a CD.

Whilst listening to this music I also noticed something that really helped me out a lot with my lead player, something that I feel plays a huge part in getting that great emotion and can be a great bit of advice to someone just starting out with playing lead guitar.

Think of your guitar like a lead vocalist.

You see, their is one thing this music reminded me of that I really did not expect, but at the same time did not surprise me to hear, and that is Opera. Opera is a genre of music that is not to everyone's cup of tea, but the one thing it does have that really cannot be denied is intense and raw emotion. Most Opera you hear is sung in Italian, but I do not speak Italian, and don't have a clue what the words are about, but the note choices, phrasing and tone are just so powerful that you just cant not listen and feel it, and guitar can be the same. There are no words of such, but choose the right notes, build a great phrase, make a good melody and you are right on the road to greatness.


This is only one way to look at soloing, and it may not work for every form of music, but give it a go and watch the music grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment